The Gregarious LIfe

The Gregarious LIfe

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Old Disney Movies


A couple days ago, I found a VHS copy of Pollyanna while at our local thrift store.  Score!

 

Really? you ask.  Really!!  I absolutely love old live action Disney movies from the 50's/60's/70's!  No, I didn't grow up with Hayley Mills- I'm a product of 1987- oh but don't I wish!  Just the same, I grew up watching the old Disney movies- the original Parent Trap, Swiss Family Robinson, The Absent Minded Professor, That Darn Cat!, The Love Bug, The Million Dollar Duck, No Deposit No Return, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Escape to Witch Mountain, etc. 





Does anyone else remember these movies?  Oh what fond memories I have of family movie nights spent on the family room floor, a chocolate malt in one hand, and a homemade dough pretzel in the other!  So, between the $1 price tag, and the overwhelming nostalgia, I just couldn't pass up dear Pollyanna! 

I sat down yesterday and watched Pollyanna during nap time, and it didn't disappoint!!  So sweet, so uplifting, just the kind of movie I want my little one to watch when she's old enough to enjoy movies.  A really beautiful message about the power of positive thinking and how a little bit of sunshine can benefit others. 

And, now I'm on the lookout for more classic live action Disney movies.  How much I'd love to watch more of these classic movies once again!

2 comments:

  1. That is precisely the essence of what is so very special and wonderfully illuminating and truly important about POLLYANNA that really, truly elevates it to a calibre that I feel actually ends up dwarfing other films of lesser value and important life lessons, even classics like CASABLANCA, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST, CITIZEN KANE, STAR WARS (I mean, naturally, that one not much of a real surprise!) and THE WIZARD OF OZ for goodness sake! POLLYANNA has a power and purposefulness to it that kicks just about any other motion pictures ass! It really has that kind of energy and power to it that I believe most others (esp considering today's modern points of interest- cell phones, destroying the world, facebook, I-phones, STAR WARS sequels, texting people...) likely don't ever even quite get that THAT is really what the film is saying LOUDER and more ELOQUENTLY PRONOUNCED than anything else in it, and though the mortality rate on that issue is certainly discouraging, it doesn't stop me from forcing... well, forcing might be a bit too strong of a word, but I mean, literally FORCING each and every person whom I love and or care about to any appreciable degree to sit there with me over a joint or a few beers and some nice lunch and watch all two hours + of it and make absolutely positively certain that they `got that' from what they just watched... and, gladly, most of them pass the test the first time around.. Nice, thoughtful review of the pic that actually filled my heart with... you guessed it, gladness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I totally forgot to mention.... I'll just assume you already know about and or have seen and enjoyed DARBY O'GILL & THE LITTLE PEOPLE ; CANDLESHOE ; RETURN TO OZ ; THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN ; THE HARDY BOYS APPLEGATE MYSTERIES ; THE THREE LIVES OF THOMASINA ; MARY POPPINS ; PETE'S DRAGON ; BEDKNOBS & BROOMSTICKS ; SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES ; THE WATCHER IN THE WATER & THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE (less than the others, but still pretty decent!) If not, those aren't a bad place to start off on at any rate... Enjoy! p.s. My apologies about some of the adult things I referenced in my first post, I hadn't realized you have quite a little one at present and likely have a more controlled environment going on around you and for that I should beg your pardon, but with a smile!! Toodles. OH, also, it's not a Disney movie, but - BUGSY MALONE!! man, greatest children's movie EVER!!

    ReplyDelete